Monday 10 December 2012

Inside the Haiti earthquake

Reflection:
“Inside the Haiti Earthquake “game is one of a serious game that I ever played and I think this game was very informative. In this game, I am able to choose to take any role that I wish to be. There are three roles in this game that is an earthquake survivor, an aid worker and a journalist. When playing this game, I start to think how lucky is I am now because I do not have to face all these problems here in Malaysia. This game able me to put myself in the shoes of those who are at that situation and to be honest when I played this game I can felt like I am there because this game is very graphic and all the picture and video in this game is real. This games show the devastation of the earthquake and how difficult is for aid distribution to be done successfully among so many starving people who are desperate for food. Furthermore, becoming an aid worker is not an easy job as they have a big responsibilities which you cannot imagine as they are among the important person who can save lives of thousands people in the earthquake. Whereas, for the journalist he have to face pressure to get a story from the editor and the donor groups. Being a journalist also have to create the perfect scene for that story and will kept being pressured to choose  a good story about the situation of the earthquake which is quite biased and only reveal partial truths. In my opinion, this game is very suitable to be use in the learning process as it can open the students’ eyes about what actually happen during the earthquake where they can imagine themselves as the earthquake survivor which have to face difficulties in order to get the aid and food. Moreover, the students also able to become the aid worker which is not an easy job and carry a big responsibility in giving aid to the survivor. Apart from that, the students will be exposed to the job as journalist and from that they can see what actually happen and did the media’s job really tell the truth? The will find it by themselves as they play this game.

How to use this game for learning?
I will ask the students to play the games first. Then, the students have to select only one of the characters in the games. Next, I will ask the students to construct an essay that describes the role of the character that they choose in that games in not less than 120 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment