Tuesday 11 December 2012

Essay correction-Honey Comb Story


Read the essay distributed. Decide what to do with the errors. Are you going to use written comments, talk to the writer or use checklist? Will you encourage peer editor before the next submission? What is your follow-up activity to deal with the most common errors found in your essays?

This is my first time correcting other students work so after reading the whole essay, I found that the students have a problem with the use of punctuation, preposition, and there are some spelling errors. Besides that, the students also have some grammar problem where some of the words used in the essay are not suitable but overall there is a flow of idea in that essay which i can understand after reading through.

To overcome this error, I will talk to the writer and use written comments because I think by doing so the students will know what their mistakes are and at the same time I will explain to them so that they are more clear with the mistakes and able to use a correct vocabulary and grammar. For the written comment, I will use circle a as symbol for the incorrect grammar, question mark to represent hanging sentences, and underline the sentence or words for the unclear sentences. Instead of giving written comment, I will talk to students and give them opportunity to explain their works.

Moreover, I also will encourage them to do peer editing before the next submission because this is a good way for them to help each other which can boost up their confident and motivate them as well. Moreover, in my opinion the students are more comfortable to talk to their friends on how to correct their mistakes that they always do in their essay.

The next follow-up activity that I will do to deal with the most common errors found in the essay is that I will use gap-filling or correcting the sentences activity and pick any random sentences with more error that is commonly made by the students and ask the students to rework together to correct it in a group so that they can help each other to correct the mistakes.

Example of correcting the wrong sentences activity:

1.        Wrong: One day, I with my friends played football in garden. (Question)
            Right: One day, my friends and I played football in garden. (Students answer)

2.      Wrong: My prends scolded me and sended me to the hospital.
         Right: My parents scolded me and sent me to the hospital.

3.      Wrong: every week we were playing foodball, that day we were fatigued.
          Right: Every week we were playing football, that day we were fatigued.

4.      Wrong: We suffered a shock put down the broom, we ran to home.
         Suggested answer: We experienced a shock, put down the broom and we ran home.



   

1 comment: